Skip to main content

The Great Chain of Linking, Part 1

In typical blogger fashion, I am going to start doing some link sharing posts on here. While my own writing will continue to be central to the hesitant telos, sometimes I lack more original ideas to communicate and want to let others know about media of interest without being so boring as to replicate the intellectual property that belongs to others or whatever you might call it. The name I have ascribed to this is a parody of "the great chain of being." This probably isn't related enough to that, but I thought it was catchy - a catchy pleonasm. Also, no promises on the relevancy (in terms of publication date) of these. I'm notoriously late in many a ways, so such a rule about trendiness just won't work for me. Without further ado, I give to you The Great Chain of Linking, Part 1.

1. Can Sociology be Saved? - The mentioning of criminal justice here is interesting to me as a sociology major, which is to say, that sub-field isn't really interesting to me at all.

2. Linkin Park's new album is getting bad scores - I'm quite content with Hybrid Theory and Meteora, personally. Their remix album was also good.

3. Song of the week right here: "Feeling Neglected" by Rainer Maria - why aren't there more female singers in emo bands?

4. Christina Hoff Sommers questions the gender wage gap. I'm trying to be as open to the evidence here as possible, but as far as I can tell, she makes a good case.

5. Peter Kreeft on the liberal arts and its relation to sexual morality - His prose style is simply captivating. I wouldn't doubt if Kreeft was objectively one of the best contemporary writers on religion, though of course, that is a difficult claim to test.

6. Is the Bible like any other book? A.W. Tozer didn't think so.

7. Pumpkins are symbols of Caucasian-American culture, a couple of authors in the GeoHumanities journal argue. Maybe it's articles like these that cause people to think that sociology can't be saved and shouldn't be saved?

8. Observations from Alexander Griswold on the Wild Goose Festival 2014 - I've mentioned this festival on the blog before and I have no vigor to say anything else about it at the time ... other than that I find it to be a fascinating social movement that I will probably continue to study second hand in the future.

9. A video of the Nicholas Christakis controversy - The sociologist and his wife, Erika, have resigned from Yale because of, from what I've gathered, advocating that students should be able to choose their own Halloween costumes as opposed to measures of social control. Yeah, students just wouldn't go for that apparently and made their lives more difficult than they should have (is respect for a professor no longer a thing?). Apparently the guy at the ~2 minute mark and someone else have received leadership awards for their complaining! I honestly feel so bad for Nicholas and Erika.

Comments

  1. Look at you with your Links of Possible Relevance :) I haven't published on in a while, even though you and Ed prefer them.

    I don't know if there is a wage gap, but if there is, it's irrelevant to me, since the only people that have a say in it are the employer and employee. They can decide amongst themselves what the proper wage is, but it doesn't help that they each have the state involved in their side. It's impossible to make moral decisions when either party has a gun pointed at each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured it was time after enjoying them on some of the blogs I follow like your's, Edward Feser's, and Douglas Wilson's. So thanks for inspiring me to steal your idea! Ha ha. Your link lists really are second to none though and I always look forward to them. :)

      I like your thoughts on that wage gap, too. So often, it seems, people, in thinking of things concerning themselves, actually end up thinking beyond themselves, and therefore miss opportunity to bring possible resolve to their individual situations.

      Delete
  2. As an unrepentant Linkin Park fan, what makes me angriest about One More Light is not that it is such a huge departure in sound, nor that it is terrible, nor that it appears to be a stab at some radio popularity after the band's awesome, but commercially unsuccessful hard-rock comeback in 2014--it is the utterly dismissive way the band have treated fans who don't like the change in direction.
    I'm sorry, but if you release the heaviest album of your career, after a two-decade long career in rock, draw back some of your original fans as a result, then follow that with something Katy Perry could sub out her vocals for, you are going to tick people off. Chester's insane vitriol about that has been extremely off-putting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just looked at his response on Alternative Press; all I can say is ... yikes! I had heard about some of what he said second hand, though it was quite mild compared to his actual response. I haven't heard much of "The Hunting Party" though I do like "War" a lot. If it's heavy, I'm interested.

      Delete
    2. "Rebellion" from The Hunting Party is one of the best songs they've ever done, musically and lyrically. Really strong album, overall.

      Delete

Post a Comment